October 16, 2013

My fourth week on LCHF

My fourth week on LCHF lifestyle is over. I have to say, time is really flying on this sort of nutrition. I am feeling like I'm repeating myself, but I am really happy to be still able to say that:
This week, my progress slowed downed a bit, but I
think that for a good reason.
  • my weight is going down
  • my waistline is less and less
  • I am feeling great
  • I have never been hungry
My progress has slowed downed a bit though. In the last week, I have lost 0.2 kgs and 0.5 centimeters of waistline. But I believe I know the reason.

First of all, nearly every day, I had a pretty hefty late night dinner. I had a bit of a chaotic work schedule and I couldn't manage to eat during the day, so I had some cheese, sausages, pork and similar goodies. I also ate less vegetables and more meat, which means more protein. But, all in all, eating such goodies late night every day and not gaining any weight is still a fantastic result, don't you think?

Second, I had two intense exercise sessions with my fitness trainer. I am pretty sure I have gained a few grams of muscle mass and burned some fat.

Finally, I spent a lovely weekend with my partner and my friends. We tasted some great wine and I decided not to hold back. Since wine contains residual sugar and alcohol, it's possible that I produced some triglycerides and interrupted ketosis. But again, it was totally worth it.

So, let's summarize. Heavy and tasty late night dinner every day, two evenings of exercise and a wild weekend, and still a little bit down on weight as well as on waistline - isn't it fantastic?! If I was eating carbs, I think I would be about 2 kilos up after a week like that.

News about Sam Feltham and his "supersize me" experiment

Sam Feltham after a 3 week LCHF "supersize me" diet. Although
overeating and consuming lots of fat, there is
is nearly no difference between day 1 and day 21.
In my post about the second myth about diet, I mentioned Sam Feltham and his experiments with diet. You
may remember: Sam went on a 5.800 calorie per day LCHF diet for three weeks. Even though he ate almost twice as much as he needed, he only gained a bit over one kilogram and actually lost a bit of waistline.

Sam Feltham after a 3 week high carb low fat "supersize
me" diet. His overeating of carbs is well visible. A very
nice illustration that not all calories are the same.
Well, this week, Sam completed another experiment. He was on a 5.800 calorie per day junk food diet, similar to diet in the movie Supersize me. On this high carb, low fat diet, he gained 7.1 kilograms and 9.25 centimeters of waistline. Think about that for a second: same amount of calories, same number of days, same person, but different food. And the difference is huge. You can see how Sam's body changed at both experiments throughout the diet.

Sam is now on his third experiment. In order to loose weight that he gained on his last diet, he switched back to an LCHF diet. He eats the same amount of calories as he burns per day according to a basal metabolism formula. But despite he is eating normally (only restricting carbs), he lost over 4 kilograms in the first week. You can follow Sam's daily progress on his video blog.

I'd say, another victory for LCHF. I'll definitively keep on going. Also, I'll appreciate your feedback. If you would like to say or ask something, just write it down in the comments.

I wish you a nice and successful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment