September 30, 2013

My second week on LCHF

The second week of my LCHF lifestyle is over and I am happy to say that it is going very well. In fact, it is even better than I have expected.

To start with statistics. Since last Monday, I lost 2 kilograms and I am now on 108,2 kg. I also started measuring my waist and it decreased in perimeter for 3,5 cm. Altogether, I have lost 4 kilograms in two weeks, which is totally awesome.

I keep eating things that I like and I am finding it easier and easier to avoid carbohydrates. I am also noticing that I can skip a meal without having huge cravings afterwards. Although I believe it is not wise to skip meals, it did happen to me twice last week due to my working schedule. At that time, I was very happy that I am not on a traditional 5-6 meals per day, because I day like that would have ended down with a late pizza and a beer. Not in this case. After a whole day of eating nothing but a small breakfast, I made myself a nice late night dinner with cabbage, cauliflower, butter, milk, bacon and cheese. I was particularly proud of myself because that same afternoon, I have attended a sushi making course. I arrived there on a totally empty stomach, but despite that, managed to get through the entire course without eating a single sushi, due to the rice. I did get some strange looks from the other participants, but I didn't mind.

My usual day now starts with two eggs cooked on a piece of butter and about a tablespoon worth of pork greaves ("ocvirki"). For lunch, I eat in restaurants. I look for a combination of meat and vegetables, avoiding anything with carbohydrates. Here, you should be very careful, because sauces and gravies are often thickened with starch. I always ask if there is any starch in the sauce and if there is, I just ask them to replace the sauce with a nice blob of butter or creme fraiche. For dinner, I eat things like smoked salmon, cabbage, cauliflower, salad, cheese, bacon, pork sausages etc. To quench my thirst, I drink only water and I enjoy it a lot.

On Saturday, I have also purchased a blood analyzer. It measures blood glucose, triglycerides and total cholesterol. I measured blood glucose three hours after breakfast and it was 75,4 mg/dl. According to information I found on a few websites, this is quite low, but not too low. Then, I measured cholesterol and it was 284 mg/dl. Now that is a lot! I haven't measured triglycerides yet, but I also expect them to be high, due to my long years of carbohydrate and protein nutrition. I will measure cholesterol and triglycerides again in a month and see how it goes.

So, after two weeks, I can still say that I am really happy to have stumbled upon LCHF and made the decision to pursue it. I eat really well, I am never starving and I am loosing a whole lot of weight. I am loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment